Help: Using Engineering Pathway
Help for First Time Users
Frequently Asked Questions
Need more specific help? Send us an email
- The site stalls when I try to submit a resource; has the resource been cataloged or not?
There are two ways to verify that your resource has been cataloged: visit your workspace or check your email;
if the resource has been cataloged, it will be available in your workspace, and an email verifying your status as author of the submission will be sent to you.
The source of the submission stall is being investigated, and we apologize for any inconvenience.
We would greatly appreciate an email report of any occurance of this problem.
- Why do I get an empty search results error when I try to view results beyond the first page?
To correctly view search results beyond the first page, you need to allow Engineering Pathway to set cookies in your browser. Please see the instructions below for your browser:
Microsoft Internet Explorer
See Microsoft website for details.
- In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
- Click the Privacy tab, and then click Edit.
- In Address of Web site, type "needs.org".
- Click Allow to accept cookies from Engineering Pathway.
- Click Options on the Tools menu.
- Click the Privacy icon, and then click on the Cookies tab.
- If you just want to allow Engineering Pathway to set cookies, uncheck "Allow sites to set cookies" and then click "Exceptions".
- In Address of Web site, type "needs.org" and then click "Allow" to accept cookies from Engineering Pathway.
- Click on the Safari menu.
- Click on the "Preferences..." item in the menu - a new window opens.
- Click on the Security icon near the top of the window.
- Under Accept Cookies check "Always" or "Only from sites you navigate to".
- Close window.
- I'm having trouble logging in. What should I do?
Internet Explorer privacy settings can interfere with the login process on Engineering Pathway. Try the following:
- Launch Internet Explorer
- From the Tools menu, click Internet Options
- Click the Privacy tab
- Select an internet zone setting no higher than Medium High by adjusting the slider
- Click Apply
- Click Okay
...and sometimes Google Web Accelerator can interfere with the login process on Engineering Pathway. If you are running Google Web Accelerator and after entering your login details it doesn't get past the next screen try the following:
- Right-click on the Google Web Accelerator icon in your system tray. Choose 'Preferences...'
- In the textfield for 'Don't Accelerate These Sites' type: .engineeringpathway.com (including the dot at the beginning)
- Click 'Save Preferences'
If your issue isn't resolved you can also try stopping Google Web Accelerator while you use Engineering Pathway.
- Definitions and examples of Learning Resource Types are available in the Higher Education Learning Resource Type Glossary.
Engineering Pathway implements Lucene search engine for our free-text search.
Lucene provides many search options that can make your search more powerful and accurate. Here are some of the options that Lucene
Boolean Operators (Note all operators are CAPS)
This is the default conjunction operator. If no operator is specified between two terms, OR operator is used. The OR operator will
return matching resources that contain EITHER term.
To search for resources that have either "design" or "team", use
or design OR team
The AND operator returns matching resources that contain BOTH search terms.
To search for resources that have both "design" and "team", use
design AND team
The "+" or Required Operator is used to designate the term following the operator to be the required term in the search query.
To search for resources that MUST contain "design" and may also have "team", use
The NOT Opeator excludes the resources that contain the term after NOT.
To search for resources that contain "design team" but not "brainstorm", use
"design team" NOT brainstorm
There are other options such as wildcard, proximity or boost available in Lucene. See
Lucene Query Syntax Page for more search options you can use at Engineering Pathway.